The College academic advising system utilizes an array of specialty advisors to make sure that you are getting the proper help when choosing your academic path. Once you’ve declared your major or minor, a team of advisors typically including a faculty member from your department and a full-time professional advisor will be there to help you. Students in the LEAD program, University Honors Program, Edwards Campus programs, and the College Online degree program will have an assigned advisor through those programs, additionally.
After completing a minimum of 90 credit hours, the College will assign you a Graduation Advisor to help you through the process of completing your degree and graduating.
Contact CASS to learn more about your advising team. Refer to our list of advisors below if you are unsure of who your advisor is or would like to meet with an advisor to explore a different major or minor.
Academic Advisors by Department
- Classics, East Asian Languages & Cultures, History, Humanities: Shantae Coleman
- English, Philosophy, and Religious Studies: Evan Johnson
- French & Italian, Germanic Languages & Literatures, Slavic Languages & Literatures: Laura Leonard
- History of Art: Sydney Stone
- Spanish & Portuguese: Amy Schmidt
International & Interdisciplinary Studies
- African & African-American Studies; American Studies; Latin American & Caribbean Studies; Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies: Amy Schmidt
- Environmental Studies: Lisa Hamblen
- Global & International Studies; Jewish Studies; and Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies: Laura Leonard
- Indigenous Studies: See department for faculty advising
Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Biotechnology and Molecular Biosciences at Edwards Campus: Sandy Leppin
- Chemistry, Physics & Astronomy, UKAN Teach, and Biology Freshmen (students with last names R-Z): Bhargavi Krishnan
- Geography & Atmospheric Science and Geology: Lisa Hamblen
- Mathematics: See department for faculty advising
- Biology Freshmen (students with last names A-Q): Darrell Johnson
- Undergraduate Biology (sophomores through seniors): See department for advising
Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Applied Behavioral Science and Speach Language Hearing: Annie Morris
- Anthropology and Economics: Gino Andreano
- Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychology (students with last names A-R): Kirsten Lanpher
- Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychology (students with last names S-Z), Sociology: Claire Ruhlman
- Communication Studies: Brenton Miller
- Linguistics: See department faculty for advising
- Law and Society and Public Administration at Edwards Campus: Liz Barton
- Political Science: See your assigned Graduation Advisor
- Online program for Communication Studies and Psychology: Denise Farmer
School of the Arts
- Visual Art, Dance and Theatre students with last names A-I: Sydney Stone
- Film & Media Studies, Dance and Theatre students with last names J-Z: Miranda Cook
BGS in Liberal Arts & Sciences
Lawrence campus and online students pursuing a BGS Liberal Arts & Sciences are advised by Cindy Thompson.
Graduation advisors are assigned to seniors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and School of the Arts by student’s last name.
- A thru B, W thru Z – Precious Sanders
- C thru G – Cortney McKay
- H thru L - Elizabeth Barton
- M thru Q – Darla Kelly
- R thru V – David Nickol
Undecided and Pre-Professional Seniors/Online Students
How to view your assigned advisor(s)
A student's assigned advisor can be viewed through myKU. Navigate to the Academics link at the top of the page and select the Academics Tab to view all of the student's assigned advisor(s). Some departments have shared advising responsibilities rather than one specific advisor. If you do not see a specific advisor name at this location, you can find additional information about your department's advising team above.